After establishing Slovak Academy of Sciences in June 1953 (as an independent entity within the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences) by the Technical Section was created Laboratory for research and constrution measurement and physical devices, in 1954 renamed to Laboratory of measurement devices, in 1955 renamed to Electronic laboratory, and finally in 1963 approved by Presidium SAS to Institute of Electrical Engineering SAS.
In the first year it was focused on the research of industrial electronic, spreading high frequency fields (development of broadcast on TV in Slovakia), later one of the part of physics of condensed matter important for growth of electrical engineering – research of mechanism of conducting of electrical current in condensed matter.
During its existence has contributed significantly to the development of scientific knowledge in theoretical and applied superconductivity, electric properties of semiconductors, thin films, microelectronics, microwave techniques.
Since 1965 Institute of Electrical Engineering SAS is accredited to provide PhD studies in study program Theoretical Engineering, since 1973 although in Electronics and vacuum techniques and Microelectronics.
In 1990 SAS lost entitlement to provide PhD studies and is accredited to provide PhD studies as an external educational institution in collaboration with Slovak University of Technology and Comenius University in the following doctoral study programs:
- Electronics and Photonics (Slovak University of Technology)
- Physical Engineering (Slovak University of Technology)
- Physics of Condensed Matter and Acoustics (Comenius University)
Since 1959 Institute publish Electrotechnical Journal, since 1992 together with Slovak University of Technology, since 1994 in English version Journal of Electrical Engineering, since 2015 only on-line.
Since 1987 Institute publish Biennial reports (see in Reports).